The employment impact of climate change policies in the eu
Between 2010 and 2011 the European social partners undertook an exploratory joint study to better understand the impact of climate change adjustment policies on labour markets and to assess what is and can be the role of social partners at national level in this respect.
This study intended to help European social partners to:
- Assess the impact of climate change mitigation and adaptation policies (e.g. environmental sustainability, energy efficiency, reducing emissions) on labour market policies in Europe;
- Assess the impact on future skills needs;
- Identify and discuss any present or future actions and / or ways in which social partners can work, separately or jointly, to better address climate change mitigation and adaptation policies and their impact on employment and skills.
A large part of the rationale of this initiative was also to capture positive examples of how companies and / or social partners are approaching the issue across a range of industries, sectors, and / or territories.
A team of subcontracted experts were entrusted with preparing a literature review for the study. A first EU-level seminar was held in Brussels on 29 June 2010 where national social partner organisations from 4 countries (Belgium, Germany, Spain, and UK) were able to present their different approaches to the issue and give examples of implemented and / or planned initiatives.
A final EU-level seminar was held in Brussels on 1-2 March 2011 where the final funding of the exploratory study were presented and discussed by national social partner representatives coming from 27 EU countries.
Synthesis Seminar 1 : "The employment impact of climate change policies" (Brussels, 29 June 2010)
Background document "The employment impact of climate change policies": EN
- VBO-FEB & ACV-CSC (Belgium)
- Belgian Government
- ZDH SWM (Germany)
- UGT CCOO (Spain)
- CBI TUC (UK)
- EU Commission
Minutes of the meeting: EN
Final Synthesis Seminar : "Initiatives involving social partners in Europe on climate change policies and Employment" (Brussels, 1&2 March 2011)
Background document "Initiatives involving social partners in Europe on climate change policies and employment" : EN, FR, DE
- Results of the Study (Syndex)
- Jan Dannenbring (ZDH)
- Birat (ArcelorMittal)
- Constantin BĂLINIȘTEANU (CMC) (In Romanian)
- Dimiter Brankov (BIA)
- Dominique Olivier (CFDT)
- Giles Dickson (ALSTOM)
- Heidi Ronne Moller (LO-D)
- Lindoe (Syndex)
- The Swedish PFE program for energy efficiency (Syndex)
- P. Wilke - Network Resource Efficiency in Germany
- Philip Pearson (TUC)
- S. Storme (FGTB) - Catherine Vermeersch (FEB) (In French)
- SASEC in Romania (In Romanian)
- Plan de dév. énergétique au Portugal (Syndex) (In French)
- Thomas Gaudin (ADEME) (In French)
- Thomas Mock (HYDRO)
- Werner Schneider (DGB)
Minutes of the meeting: EN